[Xastir] YAFRODU

John Kraus jfkraus3 at cox.net
Mon Feb 21 09:59:25 EST 2005

At 11:37 PM 2/19/2005, you wrote:

>On Sat, 19 Feb 2005, Curt Mills wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 19 Feb 2005, Dan Brown wrote:
> >
> > > A "zoom to map showing all known stations" feature?
>
>few enough details displayed, right libraries compiled in, etc) to be able
>to get a map - ANY map - to display.
>
>First impressions are the ones that stick.  And so - my suggestion - make
>it easy to get a map (it doesn't have to be "the best" map) up on the first
>try, and maybe the second try too.  Maybe default to a "512" zoom, centered

Yes this is one of the most frustrating things about Xastir.  I have a
system running now and seldom use it due to the incredible amount of time
needed to get a working set of maps for OFFLINE use.  I now have a system
on my laptop that uses the DOS maps at zoom > 50 and selected shapefiles
below that.  I took almost a week to get it working and still needs tweaking.

I know there are maps available that could be included or available as an
optional add on.  Jeezz even the current APRSDOS  map set could be used as
a default on initial setup.  They are plenty close enough for us an too
durn close fur duh gubmint. Hi