[Xastir] Newbie help

Curt Mills archer at eskimo.com
Tue Feb 22 04:19:03 EST 2005

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005, Jason Winningham wrote:

> I'm not going to get into "best" distro, but I loaded Fedora Core 2 using a
> network boot on some cluster nodes that didn't have floppies or CDROMs.
> Setting up a network boot server isn't exactly trivial, and these boxes were
> built for network boot.  You will need at least a boot floppy to get you
> started.
>
> There's also the Gentoo distribution, which installs (and builds) everything
> from the internet. You may find a gentoo floppy that will get you going,
> assuming you have a reasonable fast internet connection that you can access
> via ethernet (and plenty of time, since it's a p120 and gentoo builds the
> entire OS from source).

You can also load SuSE via the network.  You just have to snag some
files down first and build some floppies, then you boot from the
floppies, load network drivers, and then snag the rest down via the
ethernet.  I wouldn't say it's super easy to do, but I've had to do
it on several occasions.

You can also do this with Slackware and I think still with Fedora,
probably quite a few others.

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer