[Xastir] YAFRODU

James Ewen jewen at shaw.ca
Tue Feb 22 21:15:40 EST 2005

> My vote currently would be to have a built-in mode that starts
> automatically the first time Xastir is run, with the option to opt
> out, probably with an option to opt-out permanently, or just for
> this run.  That way people could get back to it again by restarting
> Xastir, or we could add a menu option for Guided Setup.

What about a command line option to request setup help?

xastir -firstrun

Or something like that?

You need to offer help for those who simply wish to get Xastir up and
running, and see what it has to offer. The biggest drawback is the month
long learning curve trying to learn the ins and outs of Linux while still
trying to get a program to run. There needs to be a quick and easy set of
basic maps to grab, rather than simply saying use whatever you want. Once
you've gotten things figured out, and know what Xastir can do, you won't go
back. Xastir needs to be easier to get in front of the new user so that they
don't give up in frustration. Once you get them hooked, then you can force
them to learn more about the different map capabilities, and teach them
about Linux.

James
VE6SRV