[Xastir] network cygwin install

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Fri Feb 25 00:22:15 EST 2005

On Thu, Feb 24, 2005 at 10:37:35PM -0600, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <gerry.creager at tamu.edu> flavor, containing:
> 64MB is a little light for serious X work.

Well, it's a very light for windows+cygwin+X at any rate.

> Tyson S. wrote:
> > I finally gave up on the stupid computer and ripped the hard
> >drive out of it. I will probably run the rest of the computer over with
> >the D6 Caterpillar we have at work.

Nah.  Give it the optimum hardware acceleration for a windows computer ---
9.81 m/s^2 applied for at least 10 seconds, followed by abrupt hardware
deceleration.

> I have since installed the hard
> >drive into a pentium 166 with 64 megs of RAM and although the operating
> >system works great now, I can not get the Xwindows BASH thing to start
> >so Xastir can be started.

Can you start the non-X bash window using the regular cygwin icon?  That
shouldn't be anywhere nearly the memory pig that X would be, and it should
work if your cygwin installation isn't broken.

If so, try issuing a "startx" command from that window and see if there are
any useful error messages displayed.

Tijeras, NM  QRPL#1592 K2#398  SOC#236 AHTB#1
 "Well, I could go on and on and on, but time's a-wastin', and evil's out
 there, making hand-crafted mischief for the swap meet of villainy." -The Tick