[Xastir] Weather Alerts

Clay Jackson clayj at nwlink.com
Sat Feb 26 02:05:12 EST 2005

Dale is correct - it was "just" a Special Weather Statement.    So - I
guess some research is in order to figure out what's what.  I should
have guessed that people (NWS) can differentiate between 'Partly Cloudy'
and 'Partly Sunny' would tend to stratify other things as well :-)

As an aside, I monitor the NWS 'alerts' for the DC (Front Royal, VA) and
Seattle (Sammamish, WA) areas; and it seems as if the DC NWS Forecast
office is pretty quick to 'pull the trigger' on some sort of 'alert' or
another, for even the most minor 'events' (and often well in advance).
On the other hand, the Seattle FO (and I know a couple of guys there)
seems almost reluctant to issue things like 'Special Weather Statements'
or other alerts until they're SURE something BIG is going to happen.

Anyone got any insight into this?

Clay