[Xastir] 2004 Tiger Files

Gerry Creager N5JXS gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Sun Feb 27 08:47:43 EST 2005

OK.  Thought for the day.  Comparing TIGER files against the 2003/2003
version isn't a good check based on some of the research I've done.  In
fact, TIGER is probably *not* a good datasource, as those files are
taken from USGS SDTS (although that's not what Cesus claims, but that's
another story), and munged to accommodate the needs of Census.
Technically, they shouldn't be releasing the munged dataset claiming it
meets National Map Accruacy Standards, as their changes take nominally
good data and redefine it based on data that are interpolated from a
variety of sources, including hand-written notes and mileage estimates
from folks' cars.

So: The short form is Caveat Cartographer.  Be careful with that data.

A better comparison, and one I intend to do locally, is to drive the
area and see where the GPS points lie.  The common GPS accuracy today
lies between 6-10 meters horizontal, and thus is better than the
accuracy of the TIGER maps at their base.  If reality (via GPS) is
consistent with TIGER, the maps are OK.  Verifying maps against maps
with known problems isn't verification.

Pedantically academically yours,
Gerry