[Xastir] GNIS Labels ?

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Sat Jan 1 12:28:32 EST 2005

On Sat, Jan 01, 2005 at 09:19:01AM -0500, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <mckeehan at mckeehan.homeip.net> flavor, containing:
> Would anyone object to limiting the GNIS places that are displayed one more
> level down?
>
> Currently, the code limits when zoom is greater than 200; I would like to add
> another limit at zooms greater than 100 for cities of less than 500.

I just tried that, and found that it was too fine a filter --- I spend most
of my time at zoom levels above 100, and with this level of pruning I wind up
losing most of the gnis labels I usually see.  For example, the village where
my mail is delivered disappears, as do all the labels near where I actually
live.

I'd not be happy if this were made hardcoded behavior.  Pity that sort of
thing has to be hardcoded.  Perhaps it would be better if the filter settings
for GNIS were broken out as some sort of user configurable metadata rather
than hardcoded, to handle personal preferences like these.

Tijeras, NM  QRPL#1592 K2#398  SOC#236 AHTB#1 http://www.qsl.net/~km5vy/
 "When life gives you lemons, find someone with a paper cut."