[Xastir] Intermittent internet connection

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Mon Jan 3 12:20:32 EST 2005

On Mon, 3 Jan 2005, Gerry Creager N5JXS wrote:

> In general, GPRS/GSM uses PPP for the connection.  You need to set a
> timeout, and a "dial-on-demand" PPP configuration.  I can try to do a
> little research, but I may be pressed for time over the next 30 days.
>
> I'll try to look.  I've done this sort of thing before, but I forgot
> where I left my corporate memory!

I seem to recall that the dial-on-demand stuff ends up losing a few
packets, and relies on tcp/ip retries of the clients to get the
packets through once the ppp connection comes up.  In other words if
you rely on packets coming across to bring it up, you'll miss a few
at the start.

Worth checking into though.  Perhaps it's able to cache the packets
now so that none get lost.  If so, that'd be a good solution.