[Xastir] Intermittent internet connection

Bennett, Joe remailer at ka3nam.com
Mon Jan 3 19:07:33 EST 2005

I do this quite often, not with GPRS but with the "other technology".  Since
that has put food on my table for the last 7 years, I automatically have to
jokingly say, "yuk" to the notion that someone actually uses GPRS... :)
I'm joking of course (not)... :)

The only thing that'll get ya here is the keep alive message that the APRS
server sends out every 30 seconds or so. Most wireless data services will
tear down the RF resources if no data is transmitted during x period of time
while maintaining your IP session (PPP). It's the "if you aren't gonna use
it, we give it to someone who will" concept.

With your pay by MB issue, you'll be paying for the ~75 byte message every 30
seconds if you connect to 14580 with no filter.

-Joe
KA3NAM