[Xastir] map caching

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Wed Jan 5 10:17:09 EST 2005

On Wed, 5 Jan 2005, Dan Brown wrote:

> To check that you're going back to the same map, you can turn on debugging
> and watch for the url and compare them. For example:
>
> xastir -v 512 2>&1 |grep map_cache

Another little trick, to be used when you're running programs that
call other programs, or scripts that call other scripts/programs:

    (xastir -v 512 2>&1) | grep map_cache

The parenthesis cause that portion to be run in a subshell, and then
that subshell's STDERR is piped to STDOUT by the "2>&1" portion, so
you get ANYTHING that went to STDERR or STDOUT from that command or
anything that it calls.  This is how you can get a "make" command to
spit everything into one file.

Of course you can also do:

    (xastir -v 512 2>&1) | tee xastir.log

Which will pipe everything to your screen and to the xastir.log
file.  You could then type "tail -f xastir.log | grep map_cache" in
another window and watch that subset of the error messages there.
That way you won't miss anything.

The highest debug level for Xastir is 2047.