[Xastir] Smart RELAY digipeating

J. Lance Cotton josecanuc at gmail.com
Wed Jan 5 12:39:22 EST 2005

On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 09:14:54 -0800, BDonnell at ar-northwest.com
<BDonnell at ar-northwest.com> wrote:
> Curt and I had an off-list discussion some time ago (a year?) about adding 6-pack into xastir, for this very reason.

Speaking of 6pack and soundmodem, as far as I understand the linux
usermode soundmodem program, which works great, emulates a KISS or
MKISS TNC.

Does this mean that there isn't a way for soundmodem-based
virtual-tncs cannot use 6pack? Obviously the ability is there, since
the computer has complete control over all aspects of the radio's
functions relevant to packet.

If I understand correctly, if the soundmodem driver presented a 6pack
type interface to the AX.25 stack instead of a KISS type interface,
then all the flex-net type features could be available (with the
proper software, of course) and give linux packet users a high-quality
packet network (this isn't related to Xastir or APRS and so is
somewhat off topic.)

Does this make sense? Can/does the soundmodem driver have the ability
to do this?

--
J. Lance Cotton, KJ5O
joe at lightnigflash.net
http://kj5o.lightningflash.net
Three Step Plan: 1. Take over the world. 2. Get a lot of cookies. 3.
Eat the cookies.