[Xastir] GDAL and ImageMagik support for Xastir

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Mon Jan 10 19:45:03 EST 2005

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005, Jason & Kim Conolly wrote:

> I have finally succeeded in getting a "good" Xastir install with Cygwin
> (thanks primarily to help from the Lintronix site, now referenced in the
> Readme.W32 file).  I can get Cygwin up and running, and run a basic
> configuration of Xastir.
>
> However, I have not had any luck building Xastir with support for
> ImageMagik or GDAL.  I am using (presumably) current versions of both.
> Perhaps this is the problem?  Do I need to locate and install the older
> versions specifically listed in the Readme, or should I expect any more
> recent versions to work?  I am trying to compile Xastir with GDAL 1.2.4
> and ImageMagick 6.0.4.
>
> The Readme.W32 identifies ImageMagick 5.5.3 and 5.5.7 as tested with
> Cygwin.  It also calls out GDAL 1.2.0b.
>
> Should I keep trying to work with the newer versions?
>
> I did notice that the "recommended file list" for Cygwin has added a few
> new libraries.  Is this likely to be my problem?  I am using a complete
> file set from the Readme as it existed 11/15/04.

You have a couple of options:  Try to get it working with the
versions you have now, or try to downgrade and get it working with
one set of version numbers known to work (known to work at one time
anyway).

How about telling us where it is failing before you try anything
else.  I assume you've re-run "./configure" and it reported that
GDAL and ImageMagick were not found, correct?

How about looking through make.log for the places where it is
testing ImageMagick and GDAL, to see what the failures were.  That's
the next place to look.  Often the problem with ImageMagick is that
it needs yet more libraries to function.  That could be the case
with GDAL as well.

If you've got all the latest Cygwin stuff anyway, it certainly
should not hurt to rerun Cygwin's setup.exe and select/install the
additional packages that are listed in the latest README.win32.
That might get you further.  Worth a shot.