[Xastir] Please....

ke4lkq ke4lkq at doramefa.us
Wed Jan 12 13:53:42 EST 2005

What do I need to do to help you programmers run down the cpu issues I have
with Xastir....
Just checked and Xastir was using 86% at 30 sec average as reported by TOP.
This has been going on now for some time and I need to pay attention and
learn how to find the (problem?)

Running serial wx input, internet server connected to aprsd and serial ax25
tnc (mfj 1270)

I have Uiview running on another box connected to aprsd running on this Linux
box.  But i don't think that is contributing to this issue.

After running Xastir with the above ports open for 25+ minutes the computer
slows down. Specfically I see xastir repeatedly pause and do something, using
alot of cpu.

I turn off the wx port and the internet port and the cpu goes back to very
small percentages

Running just ONE of them again causes the cpu to bog down.

Yesterday I noticed that it was taking alot of time every few seconds to parse
the shape files of the counties with the wx warnings turned on.  So I broke
the link to the county folder and reindexed the maps.  Again after time the
program slowed way down.  The above 86% cpu usage. Invariably the little
window which displays "data" at the very lower left of the screen shows a
large amount of data flowing quickly and then pausing for as much as 2 to 2.5
seconds before resuming data again.

I also see, using xosview and the "view data" window of xastir that there is a
surge of data from the internet port, then a surge of the cpu to 100% for
2-2.5 seconds, immediately followed by another surge of internet data.  This
as viewed watching the xosview window at the same time as viewing the data
window.

I have not found a way to monitor the weather data from my weather station as
Xastir receives it, to see if it surges also.

Are there any linux tools which I can use to locate the specific cpu issues I
see?  As to which loops, parsing routines, caching activity are taking place,
which order they are in and how long each is taking place.  Are there any
known routines which take a lot of cpu to complete?

Or do I have hardware failing, such as memory, cpu, ??

This appears to gradually be getting worse with each CVS update, of which I do
about every 3 days.

Just checked again and with an uptime of 49 min and 29 sec the cpu as reported
by TOP at 30 sec intervals is at 65.2%

Regards,

Victor  KE4LKQ

P.S. I'm seeing something very simular on xastir running on my windows box
with cygwin..