[Xastir] Please....

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Wed Jan 12 14:10:24 EST 2005

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005, ke4lkq wrote:

> What do I need to do to help you programmers run down the cpu issues I have
> with Xastir....
> Just checked and Xastir was using 86% at 30 sec average as reported by TOP.
> This has been going on now for some time and I need to pay attention and
> learn how to find the (problem?)

You bet.  I'm not seeing that sort of problem, and am hooked to a
full firenet feed here.  See the INSTALL file, near the ned, the
section titled "NOTES FOR DEVELOPERS":.  The first section there is
on profiling, which will allow you to build a text file showing what
routines were called, how often, and how much time each one took.
Armed with that info you can beat the developers about the head.

> Just checked again and with an uptime of 49 min and 29 sec the cpu as reported
> by TOP at 30 sec intervals is at 65.2%

Just for info, I have one instance that I'm doing a long runtime
test with, and it has been up for 86 days so far.  It's connected to
a filtered firenet feed, snagging wx data, objects and items, so it
isn't a full firenet feed.  Still nice to watch it still operating
ok after all that time though.  It is very slowly going up in memory
usage, but it's still running low CPU, usually hanging around 10% or
so with a 30-second update rate for top.

I can compute the actual percentage over the entire time it has been
running by using the 86 days of uptime and the total count of CPU
time listed in TOP.  Haven't done that recently.  Total time listed
is 2953:26.  2953/123840 = 2.4% CPU.  Not too bad.