[Xastir] Please....

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Wed Jan 12 18:08:19 EST 2005

On Wed, Jan 12, 2005 at 02:17:21PM -0800, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <archer at eskimo.com> flavor, containing:

> Two hours of runtime gives me the below.  I don't think there's much
> question what's using up the CPU when the weather alerts are flying
> by:
>
> Flat profile:
>
> Each sample counts as 0.01 seconds.
>   %   cumulative   self              self     total
>  time   seconds   seconds    calls  Ks/call  Ks/call  name
>  71.36   1440.17  1440.17  1076801     0.00     0.00  alert_match

Fancy that --- looking over the code it appears to do a linear search through
the list of existing alerts, doing lots of memory operations on each item in
the list to shorten the name, and doing a "does this one match?" operation.

Gotta be a more efficient algorithm  than that.  At a minimum, perhaps the
shortened title could be saved in the alert structure when the alert is
created or modified, so it doesn't have to go through all those
strrchr/memmove operations every time it's compared to?

Tijeras, NM  QRPL#1592 K2#398  SOC#236 AHTB#1 http://www.qsl.net/~km5vy/
 "When life gives you lemons, find someone with a paper cut."