[Xastir] Still working through compiling issues... gcc: unrecognized option -no-undefined

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Tue Jan 18 21:30:44 EST 2005

On Tue, Jan 18, 2005 at 08:59:58PM -0500, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <conolly at ieee.org> flavor, containing:
> Thanks to Bill and Curt for getting me this far.  Yes, it seems that
> GDAL needs shapelib to work correctly.
>
> Now, I am successfully completing configure and only getting two errors
> on "make" for Xastir.  I'm not sure if it helped get this far, but I did
> note that the clean Cygwin install from planetmirror and lintronix ended
> up with a couple versions of autoconf and automake.  I identified "new
> enough" versions per the README.W32 and adjusted the bootstrap.sh file
> to point to them.
>
> The remaining errors are both gcc commands with unrecognized options.
> I'm ending up with a couple of -no-undefined parameters in the gcc calls:

This is coming from ImageMagick, I believe.   It is forcing -no-undefined
into the LDFLAGS inappropriately.  I hunted that down once and I believe
it has something to do with the way they resolved a dll issue, but never
got far enough to understand how to make it go away and feed the solution
back to them.

It is a harmless warning --- gcc ignores the unrecognized argument.

> and
> If I cheat, and try to "make install" and run Xastir in spite of the
> errors, I get an Aborted (core dumped):
>
> >Support for these additional map types has been compiled in:
> >       geo   Image Map (ImageMagick library, many formats allowed)
> >       geo   URL (Internet maps via libcurl library)
> >       shp   ESRI Shapefile Maps (Shapelib library)
> >       tif   USGS DRG Geotiff Topographic Maps (libgeotiff/libproj)
> >       xpm   X Pixmap Maps (XPM library)
> >assertion "codecs == NULL" failed: file
> >"/usr/src/tiff/tiff-3.7.0beta2/libtiff/tif_compress.c", line 258
> >Aborted (core dumped)

> I'm not sure if that is actually related to the errors, or another
> library I need to pick up.  I do not have the directory /usr/src/tiff...
> although I do have libtiff.a, libtiff.dll.a, and libtiff.la in /lib and
> /usr/lib.  I believe these were installed as components of Cygwin.
>
> Are the errors related?  Any ideas about libtiff?

This should not be related to your -no-undefined stuff.  It looks like
something wrong with your tiff library.  If you followed README.win32,
you got tiff libraries from cygwin, and wouldn't have source code for them.
The error message is referring to the source code directory of the
person who compiled it --- who apparently had the source code in /usr/src.

Are you attempting to load any tiff images, or is this bombing immediately
before you've ever told it to read maps?

Tijeras, NM  QRPL#1592 K2#398  SOC#236 AHTB#1
 "When life gives you lemons, find someone with a paper cut."