[Xastir] strangeness drawing GNIS maps?

Jason Winningham jdw at eng.uah.edu
Wed Jan 19 19:01:31 EST 2005

I've got the following turned on in map chooser:

_all_ GNIS files
several shapefiles from National Atlas, TIGER shapefiles, etc

I noticed that, even when viewing a very small area (zoom 16) xastir
will "draw" several states worth of GNIS data every time.  Turning on
debug level 16 gets me several instances of

draw_map: Searching for map driver
draw_map: Found map driver: gnis: 5
draw_map: /usr/local/share/xastir/maps/GNIS/WI.gnis
Exiting draw_gnis_map
draw_map: Searching for map driver
draw_map: Found map driver: gnis: 5
draw_map: /usr/local/share/xastir/maps/GNIS/WV.gnis
Exiting draw_gnis_map

Even though I'm zoomed in on a very small area in Alabama, it seems to
draw maps for AK, IL, IN, TN, etc etc.  The map is actually drawn
correctly, the problem is the CPU time involved in not drawing all
those maps.

Maybe there's a problem with the data?

What are the values in map_index.sys?

-Jason