[Xastir] Problem with gif & xpm maps

Curt Mills archer at eskimo.com
Sun Jan 23 12:44:26 EST 2005

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005, Ian A Bultitude wrote:

> I seem to have a problem with maps only being displayed in Black
> and Blue.
> I only have gif & xpm maps for the UK. Everything seems fine if I
> use the online maps for the USA.
> An other user of this program using the same maps does not have
> the problem so it has to be something I have done or not done. BUT
> what?

More info.  What OS.  What's your colordepth on your X11 display?
If you are running on Cygwin, also check the colordepth on your
Windows display.

What format maps for the USA are working correctly?  GIF or JPEG?
Perhaps it's your ImageMagick version or your XPM library that is
giving you trouble.

Depending on your colordepth, it could be one that is not supported
well in Xastir.  I tend to use 16-bit as it seems to work well.  On
the bug list are reported problems with 24-bit and 32-bit, but I
think one of them was just with snapshots/printing, and not with the
display.  Check there to see what the exact problems were.

Can you type "display filename.gif" or "display filename.xpm" in an
xterm window and have it display fine?  "display" is an ImageMagick
tool, so that'll tell you if ImageMagick itself is having
difficulties.

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer