[Xastir] 'streaming' objects

Greg Jurrens greg at jurrens.net
Thu Jan 27 16:51:27 EST 2005

Good Day Xastir-ers:

I've been given a challenge for this year's Freescale (Formerly Motorola) Marathon:  I need to be able to accept lat/lon/speed information from 5-10 non-APRS tracking devices and integrate them into the "BIG BOARD" map we show in the VIP tent.  I normally use Xastir to iGATE all the various bus/comm. and lead vehicle channels so I'd like to be able to just capture this stream and shoot it to the TAMU APRS-IS just like the other data.  That way, we can see it in the VIP tent plus at all the bus stops, start/finish line, and the comm. command center.

I'm guessing this would be similar to the way the WXSERV puts out Hurricane or Tornado tracks.  The folks providing the data claim they can format their output so I'm sure I can make it look like APRS POSITS.  I just need to figure out a way to get the data from their server to both the TAMU APRS-IS and back to Austin so we can spit them out over RF.  Once into the APRS-IS system, I can handle the iNET >> RF side already.

Anyone have any nifty PERL or JAVA scripts laying around for formatting and/or pushing these psuedo-POSITS to an APRS-IS server?  Any easier way to do this?

Thanks for reading.

73,

--
Greg Jurrens - WD0ACD