[Xastir] Using time field data in Xastir objects plus trail colour

Tom Tessier ttessier at trtdigital.ca
Sun Jan 30 22:42:28 EST 2005

Hello,

I see there are some comments in the source code regarding the use of the
time field in APRS packets, so someone must have thought about this before!
Right now the age of positions in Xastir are based on when Xastir received
them. This also applies to replaying saved trails - the age is shown from
the time of replay, not the time the trail was originally recorded. This is
great, and works very well. Now, the people I'm working with are looking at
using Xastir in SAR situations. One thing that came up in discussion was
that we may want to replay a past search trail as a comparison to a current
one but want to make sure the replayed trail isn't confused with one that is
fresh.

If a received packet actually has the time embedded, it would be beneficial
if the time in the packet be used throughout Xastir - or at least an option
to do so - including playbacks. Is anyone looking at this kind of change?
May I humbly volunteer to assist in this effort if this isn't already in the
works?

73's,

-Tom

de VE4TRT