[Xastir] Map clutter

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Fri Mar 4 19:03:14 EST 2005

On Fri, 4 Mar 2005, Bob Nielsen wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 04, 2005 at 09:33:44AM -0500, John Kraus wrote:
> > Morning,
> >
> > I have 2 questions and I will try to keep them brief.
> >
> > First what is the status of using the DOS maps as a built in base map
> > system for ham use?  Bob did agree to their ham only usa as long as there
> > is a notification of such.  I am willing to put together a basic package of
> > dos maps either for inclusion in the main tarball or for hosting on the
> > Xastir site.
>
> Putting them in the tarball would be sort of anti-GPL, wouldn't it?

Made me thik a bit more about it.  Found this on SourceForge.  It's
as close as I could find for the case at hand.  It looks to me like
anything we post in CVS or as a file release needs to be
open-source, even data.

"6. LICENSING AND OTHER TERMS APPLYING TO CODE AND OTHER CONTENT
POSTED ON SOURCEFORGE.NET

Use, reproduction, modification, and other intellectual property
rights to data stored in CVS or as a file release and posted by any
user on SourceForge.net ("Source Code") shall be subject to the
OSI-approved license applicable to such Source Code, or to such
other licensing arrangements that may be approved by OSTG as
applicable to such Source Code.

With respect to text or data entered into and stored by
publicly-accessible site features such as message boards and bug
trackers ("SourceForge.net Public Content"), the submitting user
retains ownership of such SourceForge.net Public Content; with
respect to publicly-available statistical content which is generated
by the site to monitor and display project activity, such content is
owned by OSTG. In each such case, the submitting user grants OSTG
the royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable, non-exclusive and fully
sublicensable right and license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt,
publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute,
perform and display such Content (in whole or part) worldwide and/or
to incorporate it in other works in any form, media, or technology
now known or later developed, all subject to the terms of any
applicable approved license.

With respect to Content posted to private areas of SourceForge.net,
i.e., private SourceForge.net development tools or SourceForge.net
Mail, the submitting user may grant to OSTG or other users such
rights and licenses as the submitting user deems appropriate.

Content located on any SourceForge.net-hosted subdomain which is
subject to the sole editorial control of the owner or licensee of
such subdomain, shall be subject to the OSI-approved license
applicable to such Source Code, or to such other licensing
arrangements that may be approved by OSTG as applicable to such
Content."

We _could_ have a mode where Xastir could be asked to go snag some
default maps from some non-SourceForge server and install them.  In
fact this could be another "make" operation, or a separate script
for the user to run.