[Xastir] Strange question....

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Mon Mar 7 13:24:25 EST 2005

On Mon, 7 Mar 2005, Curt, WE7U wrote:

> On Mon, 7 Mar 2005, Dan Brown wrote:
>
> > Well, that code should do what you need to do - save for removing it at the
> > end.  I just hadn't had enough (any) coffee, so one round of source code
> > diving was all for me this morning ;-)
>
> It's a great start, and much appreciated!
>
> Here's what we need to start really using it:
>

>   Check for a pre-existing PID file.
>     If one found, check whether the process corresponding to the
>     process ID in the file is still running.
>       If so, refuse to start up, or start up with a secondary config
>       directory.
>
>   Remove only our own PID file when we exit.
>

> This brings up another question:  Whether we might want one master
> PID file and some slave PID files?  The master PID would be written
> by an Xastir that is using the default config files (and typically
> would have its listening port enabled so that slave Xastirs could
> connect to it).  The slave PID's would be written by Xastir sessions
> that are using alternative config schemes.
>
> Am just thinking of the case where you might have two or more Xastir
> sessions running with the slaves pulling data from the master, and
> the master gets killed somehow.  Bringing it back up without the
> two-layer scheme might have it trying to come up with a secondary
> config set, where you really want the default configs.
>
> Somehow we need to tie the PID files together with the config setup
> they're using.  We could write the config directory into the file as
> well, which might be a good idea here, then just specify the config
> directory as an input on the command-line.  That way the PID files
> could all be on an equal footing.

Also, the "check user directories" stuff would have to be moved
below the getopts processing so that we could add another
command-line option for selecting which config directory to use.
We'd also have to go through all the code to make sure the file &
directory names were kept separate.  This would be a worthwhile
endeavor 'cuz then we could run multiple Xastir's under one login
and they wouldn't get in each other's way.