[Xastir] Anybody got LinuxJournal???

J. Lance Cotton josecanuc at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 11:12:31 EST 2005

On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 10:01:15 -0600, Kurt A. Freiberger
<kurt at badgers-hill.net> wrote:
> Finding Your Way with GPSdrive  by Charles Curley
>
>      Integrate this navigation package with speech synthesis, wireless
> network mapping and your choice of map data.
>
> http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/7406
>
> I'll have to go and get the mag later today.  Might be an interesting
> perusal.  Sorta sounds familiar.

GPSdrive is pretty good software. One really neat thing is integration
with the Kismet 802.11 sniffer, so that it can plot, in real time, the
suspected triangulated positions of found WiFi access points... It
does this through integration with MySQL, which is also a perfect
opportunity for Xastir-GPSdrive interfacing...

Unfortunately (in my view) GPSdrive only uses raster maps. It does
come with scripts to slurp whole hordes of mapquest, etc. maps in
various zoom levels for a specified area, but that is usually against
the use policy of those map sources.

Give GPSdrive vector maps and it would be an even better program.

--
J. Lance Cotton, KJ5O
joe at lightnigflash.net
http://kj5o.lightningflash.net
Three Step Plan: 1. Take over the world. 2. Get a lot of cookies. 3.
Eat the cookies.