[Xastir] Map conversions

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Wed Mar 9 20:47:52 EST 2005

On Wed, Mar 09, 2005 at 06:39:19PM -0700, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <jewen at shaw.ca> flavor, containing:
> Okay, I know it's a re-run, but I think I have different information now.
>
> The shapefiles that I have for the Birkebeiner Ski Festival appear to be in 10TM format... 10 degree Transverse Mercator.
>
> PROJCS["Transverse Mercator",
> GEOGCS["GCS_North_American_1983",
> DATUM["D_North_American_1983",
> SPHEROID["GRS_1980",6378137.0,298.257222101]],
> PRIMEM["Greenwich",0.0],
> UNIT["Degree",0.0174532925199433]],
> PROJECTION["Transverse_Mercator"],
> PARAMETER["False_Easting",500000.0],
> PARAMETER["False_Northing",0.0],
> PARAMETER["Central_Meridian",-115.0],
> PARAMETER["Scale_Factor",0.9992],
> PARAMETER["Latitude_Of_Origin",0.0],
> UNIT["Meter",1.0]]
>
> Is this a format that I can successfully convert to the lat/long version that Xastir wants to see?
>
> Please say yes!

Probably.

Install GDAL if you haven't already.  Make sure the WKT you have shown above
is in a file with the same base name as your shapefile, but with a ".prj"
extension.  The .prj files I'm used to seeing have the entire thing compressed
on one line, that might or might not matter to OGR.
Then run "ogr2ogr -t_srs EPSG:4326 output_directory input_shapefile"

That should do the trick, with lat/lon WGS84 shapefile and associated DBF/SHX
files in the newly-created "output_directory".

Tijeras, NM  QRPL#1592 K2#398  SOC#236 AHTB#1
 "When life gives you lemons, find someone with a paper cut."