[Xastir] How to use xastir and kenwood TH-D7E

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Wed Mar 16 13:29:21 EST 2005

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005, Andreas Junge, N6NU wrote:

> Does the current Init file change the radio to KISS Mode?

Nope.  You don't want to use KISS mode normally in a TH-D7A.  It has
problems.

> Is the GPS Pass-through available in KISS mode?

I don't think so.

> Does it have to be in regular TNC mode for that? Is the Pass-through code
> CTRL-E?

I believe it does use the Control-E thing, or perhaps it merges the
GPS data in with the other data all the time and Xastir just parses
the GPS data if you're using a "Serial TNC w/GPS on AUX Port"
interface, and the control-E might be ignored by the Kenwood.

> I can dive into it and see if I can figure it out, but I thought I might ask
> someone who has been there before :-)

Try the "tnc-startup.thd7" file for starters.  Use that instead of
"tnc-startup.sys".  At the end of it are GPS commands that need to
be enabled if you're running with a GPS.

I'm not sure whether you want to run with a "Serial TNC" interface
or a "Serial TNC w/GPS on AUX Port" interface.  Create both and
you'll be able to switch back and forth easily for testing.  Let us
know when you have it working and we can add comments into that
file to help the next person.