[Xastir] soundmodem in linux without ax.25 kernel?

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Thu Mar 17 11:50:03 EST 2005

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005, Jason Winningham wrote:

> Is it possible for xastir to do sound card packet (with soundmodem or
> whatever) _without_ the ax.25 kernel?

If I'm doing it at home right now, does that count?  ;-)

I'm receive-only at the moment, partically because I haven't gotten
around to building the cable yet, partically because the finals are
blown in the radio I'm using there.  I need to grab one from the
stack of very old 2-meter mobiles I have sitting around collecting
dust.  I have several that are 10-watts or so with no subaudibles.
Would make good packet radios, but no good for voice these days.

> It certainly should be possible
> to do in user space, provided the user has access to the device special
> file for the sound card.
>
> I have successfully built kernels that don't boot

Me too!  I've built ones that do too though.  hi hi

> and all the ax.25
> howto docs I've found are a few years old.  I'm wondering if there are
> problems with newer kernels, problems with hyperthreaded machines, or
> something else. I'm inclined to give up, just because I don't have time
> to deal with it.

It can be a trick.  I've done it so many times that I can usually
ignore the docs and just do it.  The docs have never been "caught
up" to the present, at least not up to the last time I referred to
them.