[Xastir] does Xastir work with Rascal interface?

BDonnell at ar-northwest.com BDonnell at ar-northwest.com
Thu Mar 17 19:32:58 EST 2005

A choice I like better for laptops  that have serial ports rather than using a sound card is to use a Baycom-type modem.  It leaves your sound hardware free, and only requires a single connector from the laptop to the modem.  I think there's even someone out there who makes a miniature one that's all within a D-sub 9-pin connector (what many refer to as a DB-9, but is really a DE-9).  And over the long haul, a D-sub connector is a lot more rugged than the 3.5mm phone jacks used for sound card connections.  Many of the Baycom-style modems will run off the power that can be gleaned from the laptop's serial port.

And there's kernel support for Linux using these devices too.  The installation process is similar to the soundmodem, but not identical.

73, Bob, KD7NM