[Xastir] Garmin + Lantronix = gpsd equivalent?

Jack Twilley jmt at twilley.org
Mon Mar 21 20:21:35 EST 2005

I have a widget on my desk made by Lantronix.  It's called a "Micro",
and it basically translates TTL serial to Ethernet and back.  I can
connect a serial device to it, then telnet to a particular IP address
and port and get the serial data.

If I recall correctly, the gpsd software basically takes the serial
output of an NMEA device like a Garmin GPS and makes it available to
folks who telnet to a particular IP address and port.

If I could attach the GPS to the Micro (with some TTL<->RS-232 glue if
necessary) it would be no big immediate gain.  However, if I used the
wireless version of the device... that makes things much more
interesting and far more useful for running xastir while mobile.

Any thoughts?

Jack.