[Xastir] RadioMobile Maps

John Ronan jronan at tssg.org
Tue Mar 22 17:01:26 EST 2005

On 22 Mar 2005, at 15:24, James Ewen wrote:

>> Other than the fact that they seem to be 50+ meters out in the y
>> co-ordinate, has anyone else used the maps generated by radiomobile
>> on xastir?
>
> What source are you using to generate maps for Radiomobile? I use the
> SRTM 3d data, and overlay MSN or Mapquest data on top when online. I
> overlay Toporama data when offline, including topographic and
> orthographic data. The maps line up perfectly with the world here in
> Alberta, Canada.

good question, I've no idea as I'm a 'non windows' person myself.. I'll
ask the chap thats running it.

> I use the shapefile data released by the government of Canada for my
> road data, and overlay that on top of the orthoimages when out in the
> boonies. The orthoimages can show some of the trails and cut-lines in
> the bush that don't show on the road data.

Lucky you, we don't have that information available to us over here :(

> Radiomobile is great for trekking around the bush in the foothills
> because I can generate a 3d map of the area and find those hilltops
> that help the propagation during VHF contests. It's really easy to see
> the hilltop in a 3d picture... Topographic maps are easy to read, but
> the 3d presentation can't be misinterpreted by anyone!
Well, you would think that, hi hi.

Regards
John

--
John Ronan <jronan at tssg dot org>, +353-51-302938
Telecommunications Software &  Systems Group,  http://www.tssg.org