[Xastir] How to get ready to use maps?

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Thu Mar 24 11:41:41 EST 2005

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005, Steve Friis wrote:

> This software is great! It does everything that I would want. Presently
> though, I am not getting how to get maps that I can store on the hard
> drive, rather than using the online maps.  I tried the website links.
> What am I missing? Maybe someone has them already compiled or whatever
> it is that it takes?

First, read README.Getting-Started and README.MAPS.

Second, decide what sort of maps you're after out of the myriad of
types that we support.

Third, compile in support for optional libraries that you might need
in order to use those map formats.

Fourth, download a sample map or two, put them in your
/usr/local/share/xastir/maps/ directory somewhere (you can create
subdirectories at will below there to organize them however you
wish).

Fifth, ask Xastir to reindex your maps.

Sixth, try using the maps.

If all else fails, tell us what you're wanting and we can make some
recommendations as to which map formats to use and where to get map
data in those formats.

By default Xastir supports PocketAPRS, APRSdos, WinAPRS, and USGS
GNIS maps.  Anything else requires that additional libraries be
compiled into Xastir.  If you have online maps working, you already
have at least ImageMagick support compiled in, which means you can
use UI-View maps already too.

I have my own set of maps I prefer (not any of the listed ones
above).  I'm sure everybody has their favorites.