[Xastir] Mouse actions vs modes

Curt Mills archer at eskimo.com
Sat Mar 26 19:56:45 EST 2005

On Sat, 26 Mar 2005, James Ewen wrote:

> Looking at the table, I notice that the left mouse button really doesn't do a
> whole lot in most modes.
>
> Is this by design? Is there a reason why this is so?

Careful there... You're looking at left click only?  There's also
left-drag.

I see that the left button does a lot.  From the
README.Getting-Started file:

 LeftClick                                           SelectObject
 LeftDrag        ZoomToArea  ZoomToArea  MeasureArea MoveObject

 LeftClick       Select Menu or GUI Item (when in menus or dialogs)
 LeftDblClick    FetchAlertText (when in View->Wx Alerts dialog)

In X11 you can tie operations into a click (press/release), a
double-click, a drag, a button-release, a button-press.  We're using
several.

We also used to have the left/right buttons reversed for most
operations.  I think it was Ken that pointed out it wasn't very
Motif-like, so we moved some stuff over to the right mouse button at
that point.

Come up with a better scheme and we might change it!  I don't think
a great deal of thought went into the whole scheme of things.  It
was built a piece at a time and things patched in to open mouse
operations for the mode.

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer