[Xastir] Rtree

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Sun Mar 27 08:40:01 EST 2005

On Sat, Mar 26, 2005 at 11:16:08PM -0700, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <jewen at shaw.ca> flavor, containing:
> I did spend a couple hours chopping the file up with the program you
> created Tom, but I think it was worth the effort! I'm saving a bit of wear
> and tear in the hard drive too!

I only wish I had spent a little more time looking at existing tools before
writing those kludges.  Turns out that ogr2ogr has some feature-selecting
options that would have made it easier (you can select features both by
geographic region and by an SQL-like query on dbf records).

Rtree's intent is to allow big shapefiles to work out of the box.  If the
user's willing to spend the time and effort to make more efficient map
data, the payoff is bigger.

Tijeras, NM  QRPL#1592 K2#398  SOC#236 AHTB#1
 "The only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that's hardly
  worth the effort." -- Norton Juster