[Xastir] RFC for users of Xastir with a D700

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Tue May 10 00:20:55 EDT 2005

On Mon, May 09, 2005 at 11:19:50PM -0400, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <dlmarti at kc2lcf.net> flavor, containing:
> On Mon, 2005-05-09 at 22:58, Tom Russo wrote:
> > On another note:  I often see my D700 responding with "eh?" when xastir sends
> > the MYCALL command before every posit (while watching the Incoming Data window).
> > In fact, I had to go ahead and set MYCALL by hand and save it in the internal
> > TNC to avoid ever letting the MYCALL xastir sends fail and leave a NOCALL
> > callsign.  Has anyone ever seen that?
>
> I see the "?EH" after each transmission.
> I didn't (and still don't) attribute this to MYCALL, why do you am I
> missing something?

For a converse-mode TNC, xastir sends a MYCALL command before each transmission,
followed by an UNPROTO, then the command to enter converse mode, then the
actual data.

I see:

  ?EH
then
  UNPROTO was ....
and then the actual packet data is sent.

That tells me that the first line (MYCALL KM5VY-8) was rejected for whatever
reason, and the second (UNPROTO) was accepted.

I think the problem is related to xastir's sending control-C immediately before
the MYCALL and the D700 not being ready to receive the data for a second.  It
could be that there are serial port issues (flow control?) I need to work out.
I haven't spent time trying to work it all through, as I only rarely hook my
laptop up to the D700.  Most of the time I leave it in its own APRS mode and
use the front panel.

Tijeras, NM  QRPL#1592 K2#398  SOC#236 AHTB#1
 "The only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that's hardly
  worth the effort." -- Norton Juster