[Xastir] suse 9.2 ImageMagick ????

Gerry Creager N5JXS gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Sat May 14 21:47:54 EDT 2005

As I duck (Curt's armed):  I *really* despise YaST.  It remains one of
the main reasons I use SuSE on my cluster under protest.  Since Fedora
started incorporating Yum, things have been a lot happier in RPM-land.

OK.  Off religion.

I usually abandon the RPMs for IM, rpm -e them (do an 'rpm -a|grep
magick' to find what packages are really installed...), download and
install ImageMagick source in its latest form, compile it using arcane
invocations, test it within itself, test it with Xastir, rip it out and
drop back to the last one Curt's been able to successfully compile
against.  Unless there's a security alert against ImageMagick, I can
usually live with the older versions, and I use it for a LOT with the
radar processing tasks.  Rarely, and I'm positive it's by accident,
RedHat/Fedora has an ImageMagick build that's workable with Xastir.  I
doubt SuSE can do much better.

Jason's solution was the right one: a statically linked version.  I
started on that project a long time ago.  I probably need to embark on
it again.

gerry