[Xastir] Balloon tracking

Jason Winningham jdw at eng.uah.edu
Sun May 15 14:15:50 EDT 2005

More thoughts on xastir vs. APRS+SA:

APRS+SA is frozen at an old version, so the map data is old.

I don't know if APRS+SA can give you complete information about the
station being tracked directly on the map.  I can tell at a glance the
position, speed, heading, altitude, and report age, just looking at the
icon. Telling xastir to track that station gets a bullseye style set of
rings to highlight it, as well as make sure it stays visible on the
display, scrolling as needed.

I chase with a navigator, who I rely on for driving directions, laptop
operation, etc.  TIGER shapefile data is more than adequate for street
navigation.  If I were to chase alone, I'd probably just use the D700
and the GPS displays, leaving the laptop aside unless there was an
issue serious enough for me to stop the vehicle.

It's trivial to create objects to mark a last known position, predicted
landing site, etc.  Using objects you not only have the notation on
your map, but the rest of the chase team gets it, too.  Put notes in
the comment field, if they won't fit in the object name.

If you had a GPS tied to xastir, you should have been able to see your
position relative to the balloon (and other chase vehicles, if they
were beaconing) at a glance.

The only thing I can think of that SA does that xastir doesn't is
provide driving directions, and I'd never miss such a feature.  In my
(admittedly limited) experience with APRS+SA, xastir is better all
around.

It did take me several chases to find and learn to use all the xastir
features I needed.

-Jason
kg4wsv