[Xastir] Xastir 1.5.0 general questions part 2

Tony Hunt wavetel at bigpond.com
Mon May 16 08:34:30 EDT 2005

Maybee I confused things a bit on the last mail.. Some of the replies I got
didnt quite answer the questions.. So I will attempt to revisit the
questions and
be a bit more direct..

First
Regards the message timing.. Thanks James for the explanation.. Ive played
about with it
and observed exactly what your saying.. The problem with the 7 second cycle
is that many
networks running typically UI-digis have dupe timers set perhaps at 30
seconds or more. They can
not decern the difference between Posit and message frames. If the dupe
timer is brought down
below 7 seconds then alot of latent frames start reappearing and duping
again on the net. Its not really a
issue where Xastir is the problem but more an issue with Ui-Digis and the
like. Having some control
over that 7 second timer would be nice. I typically run 18 seconds and find
that if the first one doesnt
get the message thru then the second dupe checks out on the network but the
third doesnt.

A nice feature is Retry on heard. Maybee thiscould go on the wish list.
 Retry on heard would resend a message that has previuosly
gone into *Timeout* when Xastir hears the station concerned. This is good
but can also
be a trap. Ive found that this sort of thing can create an annoying amount
of traffic over
very long periods if sombody accidently trys to send a message to a Tiny
Track type device
thinking that its a D700 for example. Unless a Timer is set on the number
Retry on heard
cycles then it could go potentially indefinitely.. Typically if a message
has not been passed
and ACKed after say 8 hours then it would be deleted or dumped or
perminently timed out
so that it can not persistantly fall into a  Retry on heard loop.

Back to the questions.

The Igate to RF stuff.. How do I control what gets gated to RF ?? If I
enable it then still nothing gets gated .. There is a mention of being able
to gate stations posits with wildcards but exactly how its setup I cant
see.. I would imagine its in a config file of some sort.. It doesnt say so
but I get the impression its the same file that is used to setup NWS
gating to RF .. Is this true??

The Server.. I see where this is as well.. UI-view also has a server
option.. It puts all packets onto the local machine 127.0.0.1 port 1448
basically.. What does Xastir do with it ??

The KISS options .. If I set up a KISS TNC as an interface then there is a
button in there to enable KISS on startup .. Does this run a script or
configurable file as a startup option ?? Bear in mind I am using a Knoppix
install that was upgraded from 1.4.1 to 1.5.0 and I could be missing some
new scripts perhaps ..

Tony Hunt VK5AH