[Xastir] xastir install stalls

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Mon May 16 16:27:31 EDT 2005

On Tue, 17 May 2005, Andrew Rich wrote:

> Not so much a pain,
>
> but knowing WHICH and WHAT to install is the hassle.
>
> maybe we can have some volunteers to rip stuff back, start again and
> document installs.
>
> I am going to have a go at an RPM

Suggestion:  Perhaps a Wiki page would be the way to go for a bunch
of this OS-specific stuff that will change with every new library
release, every new OS-release, perhaps even with a few Xastir
releases...

Another suggestion:  Shapelib support may not be as important for
countries other than the U.S. and Canada, but my druthers would be
for an RPM to include support for both ImageMagick and Shapelib.
This gives what I consider to be the minimum map support for the
beginning user, so they can do weather alerts and online mapping as
well as a bunch more local maps.  An RPM of the Shapelib
distribution could be created and distributed as well from the same
site.

While you're at it, I'd suggest packaging dbfwk, pcre, and map
caching into the Xastir RPM as well.  That gives you all of the
capabilities that the Xastir Shapelib support is capable of (except
rtree, which is still listed as "experimental" and gives you
speedups under particular circumstances).