[Xastir] Tiger Data map labels ?

Jason Winningham jdw at eng.uah.edu
Tue May 17 11:09:39 EDT 2005

On May 17, 2005, at 9:41 AM, William McKeehan wrote:

> Is there any way to improve the display of road names in Xastir? I
> have a hard
> time reading what I have now, which should be the default dbfawk.

Shapefile labels are a weakness in xastir.  Rotated text frequently
looks somewhere between bad and unreadable.

Here's a typical X font identifier, as found in map -> configure -> map
labels font:

-adobe-helvetica-medium-r-normal--10-*-*-*-*-*-iso8859-1

The part you care most about are the -r- and the -10-.  The r is for
"regular" text, as opposed to o for "oblique", aka italics.  the only
thing worse than a rotated label is a rotated label in italics.  The
"o" was a default at one time, and if your xastir config file is old
enough you may still have an "o".  If so, change it to r.

The 10 is the font size, in points.  Play with this number until you
get labels that suit you.  Note that there are particular sizes
provided, and if you pick an in-between size you may get unexpected
results.  Right now I can't remember if X just picks the closest
available, or if it tries to scale it (and butchers the text). Try
sizes 10, 12, 14, 18, 24, etc.  I have found I generally like one or
two sizes bigger on my laptop than on my desktop due to resolution
differences.  e.g., "tiny" is 10pt on my desktop, but 12pt or 14pt on
my laptop.

X has lots of other fonts available, too. You can use the xfontsel tool
to see what a particular font will look like.  xastir will kick that
tool off for you. xfontsel can also tell you the exact sizes that are
available. I have browsed the X fonts and haven't fond anything that
looks better than the default to me; YMMV.

You can also edit the dbfawk and change the font_size used for labels.
IIRC, fonts in the dbfawk are numbers 0 - 4, corresponding to the fonts
tiny - huge in the map labels font dialog. If you want to dig into
dbfawks, you can get a lot more control over how your map is drawn.

-Jason
kg4wsv