[Xastir] Line of sight

Rob Campbell rcampbell at pcwi.net
Tue May 17 18:46:25 EDT 2005

Curt, WE7U wrote:
> On Tue, 17 May 2005, Rob Campbell wrote:
>

>>I have another quick question that's not really related to LOS.  I was
>>wondering if there is a way to draw lines between objects in Xastir, to
>>show relationships between them.  An example of this would be to draw
>>lines from a base station to all stations it has heard directly.  That's
>>not exactly what I would be using it for, but it would be a nice feature
>>to have.
>

> To all stations it has heard directly, no matter where they are now,
> or to all positions it has heard directly?
>
> You should be able to process a log file or server port data with an
> external script, then "draw" onto Xastir's map screen by creating a
> temporary object or item and moving it around to create track lines.
> This would give you the effect you want.
>
> Of course Xastir could be extended to do this internally as well,
> processing it's own database of station positions and drawing
> relational lines between them.  I think some of the other APRS
> client programs may already have this sort of capability, so you can
> see the coverage of a digipeater for instance.
>
> --
> Curt, WE7U.   APRS Client Comparisons: http://www.eskimo.com/~archer
> "Lotto:    A tax on people who are bad at math." -- unknown

Well, what I would be using it for would be stations that don't move.
It would make more sense generally for it to be all positions it heard
directly.

So when I add the stations/objects I would want to start with it at the
base station and move it away to it's final position?  That way Xastir
handles the lines as just normal tracks?

How hard would it be for Xastir to draw the relationship lines itself?
I have some programming experience, but I haven't really looked at the
Xastir code.

Rob Campbell
KG6HUM