[Xastir] xastir/gpsd - losing it in gps.c

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Wed May 18 13:39:39 EDT 2005

On Wed, 18 May 2005, Tapio Sokura wrote:

> In Xastir context, to me a reasonable interpretation for that field
> would be to consider the fix valid, if the field contains a positive
> integer. If the field is empty, zero or anything else than a positive
> integer, consider the fix invalid.

Agreed.  I came to that decision myself a few minutes ago and will
change it so that a '0' means a bad fix, anything else is good.
Negative numbers are not valid in that field as far as I can
determine, so I should be good with that simple test.

> My Garmin GPS-16 manual lists possible values for that field as being 0,
> 1, 2 and 6, six meaning an estimated position (lost the sats for a while
> and estimating based on previous course/speed probably). I think I have
> seen somewhere 3 being listed as an SBAS augmented position.

Garmins do dead-reckoning for 30 seconds if you lose satellites and
are moving.  Kind'a funny, but it'll get you through most tunnels
and such.

I'll make additional changes to the sources at lunchtime and get
them checked in.