[Xastir] Problem with ax25 library

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Thu May 19 11:51:32 EDT 2005

On Thu, 19 May 2005 in3klq at infinito.it wrote:

> Configuring xastir 1.5.0
> checking netax25/ax25.h usability... yes
> checking netax25/ax25.h presence... yes
> checking for netax25/ax25.h... yes
> checking for ax25_config_load_ports in -lax25... no

"configure" is checking whether the ax25_config_load_ports()
function is present in your libax25 library.  Grep for
"ax25_config_load_ports" in /usr/include/netax25/axconfig.h to see
if the function is defined in the headers first.  You can then
proceed on to checking the library to see if that function is in
there.  I did this:

  grep ax25_config_load_ports /usr/include/netax25/axconfig.h
  nm /usr/lib/libax25.a | grep ax25_config_load

Once you're satisfied that the function is defined in the headers
and present in the library, check whether the directory the library
is in is mentioned in your /etc/ld.so.conf file.  My library is in
/usr/lib, so I need a "/usr/lib" line mentioned in that file.

If it's not in the file, add it, then run "ldconfig" as root to
recreate the /etc/ld.so.cache file that the loader uses to find
libraries.

> configure:13082: checking for ax25_config_load_ports in
> -lax25
> configure:13113: gcc -o conftest -g -O2 -pipe -Wall
> -pthread -I/usr/local/include   -I/usr/X11R6/include
> -L/usr/local/lib   -L/usr/X11R6/lib conftest.c -lax25
>  -lrt -lXm -lXt -lXp -lXext -lm   -lSM -lICE -lX11  -lpcre
> -lproj >&5
> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lax25
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

Yea, it looks like the loader isn't able to find the libax25 library
at all.  It needs to be able to find the libax25.so file.  Find that
file and make sure it's directory is mentioned in the ld.so.conf
file.

Please let us know when you get it working or if you need further
help.