[Xastir] new nws maps

J. Lance Cotton joe at lightningflash.net
Mon May 23 14:41:02 EDT 2005

Wes Johnston wrote:
> Can anyone tell me what these other products are?
>
>       http://www.srh.noaa.gov/ridge/RadarImg/N0R/CAE_N0R_0.gif  seems to
> be radar

Base reflectivity. The radar dish is pointed up at 0.5 degrees above the
horizon, I think.

>       http://www.srh.noaa.gov/ridge/RadarImg/N0S/CAE_N0S_0.gif  red and
> green?  doppler?

Storm Relative Velocity. AKA The direction of the wind relative to the
velocity of whatever storm is identified by the radar software. Green are
negative velocities. If I recall correctly (and I probably do not), negative
velocities are "toward" the radar. Positive are "away from" the radar.

>       http://www.srh.noaa.gov/ridge/RadarImg/N0V/CAE_N0V_0.gif

Looks like Base Relative Velocity. AKA Absolute wind velocity. Contrast with
storm-relative velocity. This corresponds to "ground relative vel."

>       http://www.srh.noaa.gov/ridge/RadarImg/N0Z/CAE_N0V_0.gif

Composite reflectivity. Basically all of the "elevation" scans stacked up.
With the Base, you only get 0.5 degrees above horiz scan. This is all 4 (?)
scans.

 >       http://www.srh.noaa.gov/ridge/RadarImg/N1P/CAE_N1P_0.gif

1-hour precip totals.

 >       http://www.srh.noaa.gov/ridge/RadarImg/NTP/CAE_NTP_0.gif

storm precip totals. I think this is reset after 4 hours of no precip. Maybe
just 1 hour.