[Xastir] city name shapefile

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Tue May 24 14:45:34 EDT 2005

On Tue, May 24, 2005 at 02:33:27PM -0400, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <wes at kd4rdb.com> flavor, containing:
> Can someone point me to a shapefile (hopefully by state) that will show
> me city/town names with a dot beside them?  I really only need SC and GA

Do you really need a shapefile?  A GNIS file might be better suited to most
tasks.  URL and instructions in README.MAPS --- you can get them on a per-state
basis, and split them up by county with the split_gnis.pl script that xastir
installs in ${prefix}/lib/xastir if you need them to load faster.

Tijeras, NM  QRPL#1592 K2#398  SOC#236 AHTB#1
 "The only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that's hardly
  worth the effort." -- Norton Juster