[Xastir] IC-706 wiring

Reuven Z Gevaryahu gevaryah at netaxs.com
Tue May 31 18:58:54 EDT 2005

Jack Twilley wrote:

> After reading the manual for the IC-706, I've come to the conclusion
> that I need to use "RTTY" mode and the RTTY plug to connect to my
> sound card in order to use software like Xastir.  Does anyone know
> exactly how to wire the plug?  Google searches only come up with the
> fact that an answer exists, but not the answer itself.
>
> Jack.

I use the data plug on my 706mkIIG, which I assume is what you're
referring to. It is a regular 6 pin mini-DIN connector; the pinout is in
the manual or online here:
http://www.packetradio.com/bbb/CBL%20MDIN.gif. Pin 4 is 9600rx, and pin
6 goes to ground when squelch opens.

I built one of the old non-isolated cables back in the day, and it still
works fine (except that PTT sometimes gets stuck keyed if the swr is too
high). Radio shack sells the din connectors, but soldering them is
difficult; using the cord from a computer keyboard or mouse might be
easier (if the right wires are connected.)

--Reuven (KB3EHW)