[Xastir] User Archive List

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Tue Aug 15 07:11:47 EDT 2006

On Mon, 14 Aug 2006, Tom Robson, ve7did wrote:

> Anyone know what happened to the last year's worth of info on the mailing
> list....  goes from July 2005 to Aug 2006?

It appears to me that something happened to the list over the
weekend.  I posted one item that didn't make it to the list at that
time, and now my admin password for the list doesn't work.  Either
the list box took a hit or Chuck's doing some admin on that box.

> Trying to find out the rationale for the 12m x 18m box? In simple terms...

Can't help you with the "simple".

They're precision rectangles.  They show the precision inherent in
the packets transmitted by that station.  Zoom in to a station
sending NMEA or Base-91 compressed packets and you'll see much
smaller rectangles, if you see them at all!  Try WE7U-3 or WE7U-12
for instance (Base-91).  For NMEA packets, try KD7NM-9 or N7QNM-9.
You should be able to snag their raw packets in from findu if
they're not on the air when you want to play with this.

These rectangles also show how truncation affects the posit.  They
show the area where the station might be, assuming truncation
instead of rounding of the extra digits.  I haven't heard of a
single piece of software/firmware yet that does rounding, so the
rectangles should be correct.

Oh yea, speaking of findu:  Extra spaces are removed by findu.com
before sending us the track data.  I recently did a tweak to Xastir
to add three spaces to each line after the download, just
before the "<br>" characters.  This allows me to download tracks
from Base-91 stations that aren't sending course/speed/altitude.
Base-91 requires 3 characters there but findu doesn't respect the
original line contents.  I can now download the track for "WE7U-3",
which is a station in that category (but doesn't move much).