[Xastir] Projects we can learn from?

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Tue Aug 22 08:27:58 EDT 2006

On Tue, 22 Aug 2006, Jason Winningham wrote:

> I finally got time to get on a system with all the prerequisites
> installed, so I'll comment on tmrs:

> I generally like the way these look.  Of course, I'd like to have
> full control of the colors/styles/fonts/etc (ala dbfawk).

Yea, the look/feel was all I was trying to get comments on.  Their
placement of labels is particularly good.  Tom pointed out to me
that we'd have to do things differently in Xastir, as we currently
draw lines and labels, then more lines and labels, etc, until we
draw our entire map stack.  To do their format of optimization we'd
have to draw ALL of our points/lines/polygons first, saving up the
labels until the last so that we could do global optimization on all
of them.

> The mapserver part of the project looks good from an xastir point of
> view, assuming that it will generate maps with proper references, so

I'm not all that interested in TMRS as a map server.  "MapServer"
would probably be better suited to our purposes if we wanted to go
that route.

I was actually looking at TMRS w.r.t. the map routing, but the nice
maps caught my eye.

> tmrs requires 4 libraries, three of which xastir doesn't use
> (gd, Z, freetype).

I was interested in borrowing their algorithms, not necessarily
their code directly.

"Roadnav" is another one I'm looking at, again w.r.t. their
street-routing algorithms.