[Xastir] OT: Best source of road elevation data?

David Flood davidf4 at mindspring.com
Sun Aug 27 19:45:39 EDT 2006

Hello all,

Since a lot of people that use Xastir also work with other mapping data /
programs, I thought I'd ask a question about road elevation data.  Replies
should probably be off-list to davidf4 at mindspring.com

I'm part of a group that coordinates and provides support and Ham Radio
communications for bike rides.  For a ride that took place last week, I used
Topo for the elevation and climbing data.  Based on the feedback I got, that
data was totally useless and less than 10% accurate since it appears that
Topo uses the true terrain rather than the elevation of the road which is
often much smoother than the terrain.

So, I now need to find a better source of data and an inexpensive (or
preferably free) program to make road elevation profiles for a given route.

Any suggestions / ideas?

Thanks,

Dave
KD7MYC