[Xastir] Messaging question

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Tue Aug 29 13:26:26 EDT 2006

Ok, when the Send Message dialog is brought up automatically be an
incoming message, or when you click the "New/Refresh Call" button on
that dialog, Xastir attempts to figure out whether the station is
one of these types and configures the dialog accordingly:

    Standard APRS
    D700
    D7
    HamHUD

Now, should Xastir recheck this stuff and reconfigure each time a
new message or ACK comes in?

Positives:  If Xastir didn't have a posit for the station initially,
but one has since come in, it will automatically configure for the
correct type of device later in the QSO.

Negatives:  If you're typing something in the message text box, that
text will disappear if the dialog decides to reconfigure.  If Xastir
guesses wrong on the type of the device, the user might be manually
correcting it via the toggles but Xastir would change it back,
often.

Those negatives seem pretty negative.  I think I'll leave it as-is.
If you want Xastir to reconfigure the dialog later in the QSO,
close the Send Message box and let Xastir pop it up again when a new
message or ack comes in.  An alternative is to click the
"New/Refresh Call" button until it reconfigures correctly (which
means a posit has finally been received).

Comments?