[Xastir] Nifty LGPL'd geocoder

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Tue Aug 29 15:30:34 EDT 2006

I just learned of an open-sourced geocoder that is NOT tied to TIGER/Line
format data.  As such it can be used to generate address geocoding for
pretty much any type of GIS data with sufficient attributes (e.g. from
a county GIS department).  I just verified that it works for the GIS data I
have from my county.

http://www.pagcgeo.org/

It is at this point just a program that can generate a geocoding database, then
takes a dbf file of addresses and creates a point shapefile of the locations
of those addresses.

I bet it would not be a tremendous leap to extract a bit of code to generate
points on an xastir map instead.  Having geocode data that is of the same
quality as the map data (because it is derived from the map data) would be
nifty.