[Xastir] Crash and Restore

Darryl Gibson n2diy at losch.net
Sun Dec 3 20:48:21 EST 2006

Bob Nielsen wrote:

> I missed the beginning of the thread, but by any chance did you upgrade
> to 6.10 from 6.06 using 'apt-get dist-upgrade'?

Nope.

> I tried that and ended
> up with sort of a disaster.  On the Ubuntu web pages I found some
> mention of others having problems with apt-get for the upgrade, but
> supposedly update-manager worked for them.  I was a bit disappointed,
> because upgrading has always worked for me with Debian-based
> distributions

I have heard that there are issues with upgrading Ubuntu, and I have
also been told they are a thing of the past. I know some folks don't
even bother trying to upgrade, the just do a clean install, and restore
there stuff from backups.

(I switched to Debian after a similar disaster with Red
> Hat 4.1 many years ago).

I feel your pain, my first attempt at Linux was with RH 5.2, and I never
got past the command line. My first successful Linux install, with X,
and all the eye candy, was with Mandrake 7.0.

> I downloaded the 6.10 image, burned a CD and reinstalled from scratch,
> keeping my original /home and /usr/local directories (which I long ago
> learned to install on their own partitions for situations like this).
> After that, Ubuntu 6.10 has been working fine for me.

Well, your reading my mind. For years I've been happy playing with new
distros, as long as I had copies of my address book, bookmarks and
various files on a flash drive. But times have changed, and now I want a
serious backup and restore plan in place.

So, I'm planning to query the two LUGs I'm subscribed to, about how they
handle their backups, I don't know whether that discussion would be
appropriate here or not?

Anyway, I re-installed this afternoon, and I'm playing with a clean
Ubuntu box, I think.

After the install, I told Synaptic to dl sbackup, with the intentions of
having sbackup restore my stuff. Synaptic told me it was going to dl 14
packages, but when I checked a half hour later, it wasn't dling
anything, and it was claiming it was dling 41 packages!

I don't know what the hell happened, but my guess is Ubuntu decided to
take advantage of the internet connection, and do it's upgrade, during
my dl?

I bailed out of the stalled dl, and then told Ubuntu to fetch the
upgrades it wanted. I'll get my stuff later.

Ubuntu's upgrade was interesting, it re-installed Thunderbird email, and
  it installed libmagick. As far as I know, the only thing on this box
that wants libmagick, is Xastir (back on topic) and Xastir still isn't
working.

So, the box/system is playing tricks on me. My backup is telling Ubuntu
it needs some stuff, but not telling where all the stuff is, how to get
it, or...?

73
--
Darryl Gibson N2DIY
RLU X 182668/379552

“Arms are the only true badges of liberty. The possession of arms is the
distinction of a free man from a slave.”   --  Andrew Fletcher, A
Discourse of Government with relation to Militias (1698)